Thursday, December 11, 2008

Braves Offer Burnett 5-yr $80 MM, Yanks Counter

UPDATE 8:00 a.m.: Jerry Crasnick says the Yankees offer is for $85 million over five years.

UPDATE 1:23 a.m.:
Ken Rosenthal has removed any mention of the $91 million offer from his blog. I guess there was no truth to that rumor. (hat tip to MLBTradeRumors.com)

UPDATE 12:05 a.m.:
Another update from Ken Rosenthal. He says that the Yankees will not sign both A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe.
They can sign one of the aformentioned pitchers, and Andy Pettitte or another free-agent pitcher. They've also spoken to Ben Sheets.
So we're talking about a starting rotation of CC, Wang, Burnett, Pettitte/Sheets, and Joba. Not bad.

UPDATE 11:07 p.m.:
Ken Rosenthal says that a MLB executive told him that the Yankees offer is for five-years and $91 million dollar.

UPDATE 11:05 p.m.:
Jerry Crasnick says that if the Yanks sign Burnett they will also likely add a third free agent pitcher, but it will be a short-term deal. He says it will most likely be Ben Sheets, but I also think Andy Pettitte is still a strong possibility.

UPDATE 10:59 p.m.:
Tony Massarotti is reporting that the Red Sox are out of the A.J. Burnett sweepstakes and that Burnett will decide between the Yankees and Braves. And as I mentioned earlier he may make his decision tomorrow.

UPDATE 7:58 p.m.:
Jon Heyman thinks that the Yankees offer is for five years and $80 million.

UPDATE 7:03 p.m.:
ESPN's Jerry Crasnick is also reporting that the Yankees offered Burnett a five-year deal that topped the Braves' offer.

Crasnick mentioned that Burnett's agent, Darek Braunecker, might be seeking a deal approaching Carlos Zambrano's five-year, $91.5 million contract, and that the Yankees might have met those demands. He also says a deal could be in place as soon as tomorrow.

They must really like Burnett, but personally, I think this offer is crazy.

UPDATE 6:50 p.m.
: OK so maybe we shouldn't be so quick to fit A.J. for his Braves jersey just yet. Pete Caldera is reporting that he heard from a source that the Yanks may have topped the Braves offer. Something like a five-year deal worth $17 million per year, my calculator tells me that that would be $85 million for five years. Ummm, wow.

Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Braves have offered A.J. Burnett a five-year $80 million deal.

It looks like he will end up signing with them.

23 Comments:

Anonymous said...

It would be nice to see him leave the AL East. I'd love to see the yanks finish up with getting Sheets at 2 years, and Pettite 1 year.

Anonymous said...

I'm 100% with you on that. Sheets and Pettitte and I'm good. Even without adding another bat.

Anonymous said...

YESSSSSS!!!!

Anonymous said...

Rosenthal is also reporting that Lowe and Yankees talks are progressing but are not close by any stretch. I with everyone else. Sheets and Pettite.

Anonymous said...

not too upset, just sign sheets and pettitte

dont forget next year john lackey will become a free agent unless the angels resign him during the season.

Anonymous said...

Just one more pitcher for me. Then Hughes can earn the 5th spot. Then Tex.

Mike B. said...

I still want Tex, too!

Mike

Anonymous said...

Fine with me that he'll be on the Braves' DL instead of ours. But did we really offer Lowe four years? Please no.

Anonymous said...

Thank god I do not want the yankees to sign Burnett especially for 5 years. I rather try signing Sheets for 2 years. I think that is worth the risk

Greg Cohen said...

I agree with you guys, Sheets for two and Pettitte for one and the Yanks' rotation is set.

Anonymous said...

o boy, i think its time to back off and let atlanta sign him.

Greg Cohen said...

I agree Dan, but it doesn't seem like the Yankees do.

Anonymous said...

Sheets is still the better option. I know he has a long history of injuries but so does Burnett. Sheets has more upside as well. The Yankees never do what I say though. If only I was the GM instead of Cashman.

Anonymous said...

Maybe this is not a bad idea, if we sign Burnett then we have to sign Pettite and we can forget about Lowe. Anything is better than Lowe

Greg Cohen said...

True anon, but I really think Sheets may be the better pickup.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, but it seems to me that Cashman is obssesed with Lowe. But I'd be happy if our staff is: CC,Wang,Sheets,Pettite and Joba, also I'm very optimistic about Aceves,Hughes, and maybe someone in the farms could surprise us during the season.

no no said...

This contract is rediculous if it really is for 5 years $91 million. We got C.C., okay, but now this is getting crazy. Cashman just refuses to get outbid. A year ago it was building from within, now it appears that the Yankees are back to their old ways of just signing anybody they can throw their money at. What about all these top pitching prospects that are almost ready to pitch at the MLB? Their progression to the rotation is now blocked by guys making over $18 million a season, and will probably get traded before they ever get a chance. Yeah, they rebuilt their system, but did they do it to bring them up and play or just for trading chips?

Greg Cohen said...

I don't like this deal, it's too much money and it's a year (probably two) too long. I think they should sign Sheets and Pettitte to short-term deals. It will give them more flexibility in the next few years.

But, they can still build from within and spend money at the same time, as long as they spend it wisely.

Isn't that the perfect situation?

no no said...

I guess the Yankees thinking in all this is that they'll get a 5th starter on a short contract (Pettitte on a 1 year deal, or Ben Sheets on a 2 year deal) and by the end of that contract, Phil Hughes would be a seasoned Minor League veteran ready to burst onto the MLB scene (with little MLB service time, and probably under control for 5 seasons).

Raven King said...

AJ sure has a brilliant agent.

Anonymous said...

I heard we traded Cabrera for Cameron, I hope this is not true.

Joe said...

AJ Burnett for almost TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS PER SEASON????!!!!!!! Am I really seeing this, someone tell me this is incorrect.

Mike B. said...

I'd prefer Sheets over Burnett for sure. Please, please, please....

Mike