Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Giambi Tips Cap to Yanks as He's Welcomed Back to the Bay

The A's welcomed back Jason Giambi today at a press conference in Oakland. Giambi did not forget to give props to his former team:

Giambi made sure to thank the Steinbrenner family and the Yankees organization for fulfilling his "childhood dream" and letting him suit up for them the past seven seasons.

"I had the time of my life while there, but I'm excited to be home," Giambi said.

And,
“When you’re with the Yankees, you’re like a traveling rock band,” Giambi said, noting he’s eager to take part in Oakland’s rebuilding process and helping to mentor young teammates. “I played with basically 25 superstars in New York every day. They’re incredible guys and we had the time of our life.”
He also said the Mattingly stache would not make a return:
As for that Mattingly-esque mustache he sported last season, he swore it off, saying it ran its course during a hitting streak. "It was a bad look but it got hits," said Giambi, who has the workings of a Sharks playoff beard with a lot more gray hairs in there compared to his old Oakland days.

But the gold thong did go with him to Oakland:

"Oh, the gold thong will be here. It travels everywhere I go."

Giambi may have been a cheater, and he deserved all the ridicule he got for that. But he always seemed like he was a good dude, and was very likable. That's why we all shouldn't be surprised to hear the ovation he will get when he returns to the Bronx for the first time on April 20th.

9 Comments:

Anonymous said...

He def. deserves the ovation he'll get. He got a lot of criticism for his play with us, but you'll be shocked to see his stats as a Yankee, especially his OBP.

Greg Cohen said...

I know. When he was healthy he was very, very productive.

Brian Danuff said...

Why didn't they give him a hat?

Greg Cohen said...

Hahahaha, sorry I forgot to add that part from the article, here you go:

"True to his unique form, he declined to put on the obligatory A's cap for the photo op. 'It took too long to work on my hair,' said Giambi, who showed up in blue jeans, a cool-dude pullover shirt and a black, fishnet scarf."

Anonymous said...

LOL!

Anonymous said...

Boston close to signing Smoltz and Baldelli....

damn this sucks. their rotation has a chance to absolutly dominate, and they can all 15+ games, even Penny if healthy. We may have to revise our preseason predictions after these signings. If these deals go down I may take them to win the division and us to win the wild card, damn,

I think we have to sign a good starter now, hopefully Pettitte accepts the offer, or make a trade for someone. Now I really want to sign Manny and piss them off.... Massholes

Greg Cohen said...

Dan,

I was just posting something about that when you posted the comment. You can check out the post above.

I wouldn't say I'm worried, but these are two solid moves by the Sox.

Anonymous said...

I'll miss Jason hopefully he gets a nice ovation from the yankee fans when he comes back.

Mike B. said...

As I said in an earlier post today, he should get a nice ovation. I'd be happy to give him a hand. No, I don't like the fact that he was a cheater, but as Greg said he always seemed like a decent guy.

Mike