Thursday, January 29, 2009

Jeter Takes Some Stadium Souvenirs

From Harvey Araton (hat tip to Scott Proctor's Arm):
Derek Jeter came clean Wednesday night. He pilfered the Joe DiMaggio sign, as I suspected.

When I had last seen Jeter before covering the kickoff party to his celebrity golf classic for his Turn 2 Foundation at the Saddlebrook Resort about a half-north of here, he had refused comment on the famous sign (“I want to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee”) in the tunnel leading to the Yankees dugout that went missing soon after their last Stadium home game.

A clue on his intentions had come earlier that night, when he said he had his eye on a particular Stadium keepsake but wouldn’t say which. After the game and on-field celebration, I noticed the sign was missing and told him, “I know what you’re taking out of here,” and I asked if I could report it.

He shook his head and replied, “In due time.”

Four months later, he admitted he had taken the sign, and another item or two.
If you don't know this is the sign they're refering to:

I wonder what else he took.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Part of me thinks that Jeter is trying to be just like Joe DiMaggio, both from the way he handles himself on the field and off. (Both are fairly quiet with regards to the media; Joe had Dorothy Arnold and Marilyn Monroe, and Jeter has his own Godly list). So from that standpoint, not shocking at all that he took the sign. The clincher will be if he starts doing Mr. Coffee commercials in his 50s.

Anonymous said...

Probably not to far from the truth, since Jeter clearly has issues with A-Rod, and never welcomed him to the team, much the same way Dimaggio did with Mantle.