Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Mitre Suspended For 50 Games

UPDATE 1:30 p.m.: Mitre has issued this statement regarding the suspension:
"Although being suspended for 50 games is tough to accept, I think that it is important to understand that I am in full support of drug testing in baseball," Mitre said in a statement. "I did take the supplement in question and accept full responsibility for taking it. What has been difficult for me to understand is that I legally purchased this supplement at GNC and had no intention nor desire to cheat or to circumvent the system in any way.

"As confirmed through the drug testing and grievance processes, it contained a 'contaminant' amount of an illegal, performance-enhancing drug. This was not listed as an ingredient on the packaging, should not have been in the supplement and certainly should not have been available for legal purchase at a store."

"I accept my punishment because, as a professional, I have a responsibility for what I put into my body," Mitre said. "For this I will suffer a significant financial penalty and, more importantly, it will affect my reputation. I only hope that this will help others avoid being punished for having taken a product bought legally at a retail store."
From The Sporting News (hat tip Scott Poctor's Arm):
Major League Baseball on Tuesday will suspend Philadelphia Phillies lefthander J.C. Romero and New York Yankees righthander Sergio Mitre for the first 50 games of the 2009 season for using banned nutritional supplements, according to published reports.
Mitre, who is recovering from Tommy John surgery and is out until at least midseason, was suspended for using a legal supplement that, unknown to him, contained a trace amount of androstenedione, a steroid precursor, ESPN.com reported. Mitre said in a statement Monday night that he purchased the supplement at a GNC store.
The Yankees signed Mitre on Nov. 30th to a $1.25 million deal with an option for 2010.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Mitre...Romero...Who's next? MLB needs to decide whether/how to punish for the over-the-counter stuff.

Anonymous said...

Yankees signed Jason Johnson... not a big deal, chances are he wont make a big contribution, probably be in AAA all year, he's not good enough to be a Major League starter

Greg Cohen said...

I don't understand how MLB and the players' association isn't more on top of this situation regarding over-the-counter drugs. They should tell their players what to look for and what not to buy.

And in my opinion the suspensions should not be as severe as they are for actual steroids or amphetamines.

Anonymous said...

If you are looking for cheap prescription drug pharmacy, I would recommend you all to shop at eshoprx.com They are reliable, fast and believe me CHEAPEST.