Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sheets' New Medical Report

From Jon Heyman:
Teams interested in free agent right-hander Ben Sheets have a new medical report to examine, according to MLB executives, and it is this new information that may have sparked some renewed interest in the talented pitcher.

.... Two executives who were privy to the original medical report said that while there was nothing disqualifying or believed to be debilitating even on that report, there were multiple issues. It is apparently those issues that hampered his market.

Now baseball executives tell SI.com that Sheets has provided more updated medical information in recent days, and teams are currently poring over the newer data.
Is this new data that much better than the old data? It's kinda hard for me to believe that much has changed in a month or two.

3 Comments:

Unknown said...

I would allocate any extra money toward a catcher because I believe that is potentially a far bigger need than adding a 5th starter, but if the choice is between Sheets and Pettitte, and the new medical report satisfied the Yankees' orthopedists, I would opt for Sheets, but only for a one year deal. Otherwise, Hughes or Joba will be blocked unless Joba goes to the pen, which is a waste as long as Rivera is healthy and effective.

I think the Yankees will sign Pettitte, in part for sentimental reasons, which is almost always a mistake.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Greg. What could be that new or different in the second medical report?

Unknown said...

I have no idea if the new report presents any data that would give teams the confidence to sign him, but from my own experience with a shoulder injury, orthopedists have told me that MRIs and the reading of the results can be a very inexact process. So it's possible.