Wednesday, February 4, 2009

More From Jeter

Yesterday Jeter finally came out in defense of A-Rod, today he said more of the same.

From the NorthJersey.com:

“Like I’ve said before, we all support Alex. He’s our teammate,” Jeter said Wednesday after working out at the Yankees’ minor league complex.

“It seems like that we keep talking about the same things over and over again. It’s not like this a new thing that’s come up. The only thing that you’d like to see, going into spring training is, you’d like to see everyone talking about the excitement of the season and getting ready for the season. That’s the unfortunate thing.”

Jeter said former Yankees bullpen catcher Mike Borzello, in a kidding manner with Rodriguez, sometimes called the slugger “A-Fraud.”

“He joked with him, Jeter said. “It wasn’t like people on the team. I’ve never heard someone on the team say that. That never happened.”

He also had this to say about Torre:

“Knowing Mr. Torre, he’s never going to intentionally try to hurt somebody,” Jeter said. “He’s like a second father to me. Everyone knows how close we are. He’s not going to intentionally go out and do harm to somebody. That’s not the kind of person he is.”

And this about the upcoming season:

“I’ll tell you what, I’m probably as excited about this season as any season in a long time,” Jeter said. “We made some great additions. They said they wanted to improve our pitching staff and we got arguably two of the best in the game. We added Tex. They always talk about how great of a hitter he is. He’s an all-around player.”

“It boils down to everybody staying healthy, especially in our division with so many good teams,” Jeter said. “I’m pretty excited about this year.”

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I am not a Jeter fan, but he is doing the "captain" thing here, I respect it. I really like the quote at the end. He is right, instead of asking "Alex this, Alex that" in Spring Training, how about a little "What do you think about the upcoming year" talk.

Anonymous said...

How can you be a Yankee fan and not be a Jeter fan? You don't have to be in love with the guy, but if you can't be a fan of a guy like Jeter, who CAN you be a fan of?

Anonymous said...

Derek Jeter is a no doubt HOFamer, but I happen to think he was overrated a majority of his career. I find most of the time he is a jerk and interrupts the media before their question is even finished. I don't know, just never liked him. I think Joe Torre is overrated and never liked him either, want to crucify me?

Greg Cohen said...

I'm not siding with either of you, but I will say this these comments from Jeter a far overdue and it's good that he's finally speaking up.

Raven King said...

Jeter's always so smart in making public comments.
It's absolutely OK for a person to be a Yankee fan but not a Jeter fan. The last time I check, this is still a free world...

Anonymous said...

Thanks Raven :) On a weirder note, Manny Ramirez is one of my favorite non-yankees lol.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Raven :) On a weirder note, Manny Ramirez is one of my favorite non-yankees lol.