Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Posada Feeling Good

From
Under the brilliant Florida sunshine, Jorge Posada stood on the rightfield grass at the Yankees' minor-league complex yesterday morning and did something that had to feel as good as anything he's done in nearly a year.

He played catch.

Posada completed what he called "a big day" on his road to recovery from shoulder surgery, throwing about 140 times from increasing distances. Starting near the rightfield line, he backpedaled at predetermined intervals until he was nearly in center.

"I feel good," he said about an hour after completing the exercise and taking batting practice with fellow early campers Derek Jeter, Nick Swisher and Brett Gardner. "I'm coming along. Every time I throw, I feel good. I'm improving every time I throw, so that's always good."
When asked if he would be ready by opening day Posada said "I think so."

He seems to be progressing nicely, which, obviously, is very good for the Yankees.

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I am really happy to hear Swisher is already in camp. Thats a good sign. I think he could add a level of grit to the team which has been needed since the O'Neill, Brosius, Cone days...I hope they don't trade him and they find a spot for him to play 100+ games.

Greg Cohen said...

That's one of the main reasons I don't want him traded.

Anonymous said...

I like the make up of the team as it stands right now, but would like to find a plan B for Posada in case he is not 100%, or even 80% for that matter. It is encouraging to hear that he is doing better and to hear people talking BASEBALL for the first time all week instead of pharmaceuticals.

Greg Cohen said...

Hey that's not fair, it's not the first time all week. Yesterday I posted the new PECOTA projections and a story about how the Yankees have no plans at all to use Joba in the pen.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, somehow I missed those.