Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Piazza The Cheater?

Any of you have a friend who is a Mets fan and over the years hasn't shut up about the greatness of Mike Piazza? Well, this one's for you. Here's an excerpt from the new book "The Rocket That Fell To Earth." This comes directly from Lisa Swan's Subway Squawkers blog:
In his new book about Clemens, "The Rocket That Fell To Earth", which comes out today, Jeff Pearlman writes that:
"According to several sources, when the subject of performance enhancing was broached with reporters he especially trusted, Piazza fessed up.

"Sure, I use," he told one. "But in limited doses, and not all that often." (Piazza has denied using performance-enhancing drugs, but there has always been speculation.)"
Pearlman, who writes about Piazza in the book's chapter on the 2000 World Series, continues:
"Whether or not it was Piazza's intent, the tactic was brilliant: By letting the media know, off the record, Piazza made the information that much harder to report. Writers saw his bulging muscles, his acne-covered back. They certainly heard the under-the-breath comments from other major league players, some who considered Piazza's success to be 100 percent chemically delivered."
Former Boston Red Sox first baseman Reggie Jefferson tells Pearlman, "He's a guy who did it, and everybody knows it. It's amazing how all these names, like Roger Clemens, are brought up, yet Mike Piazza goes untouched."

Another veteran player agreed, saying, "There was nothing more obvious than Mike on steroids."

According to Pearlman, when that player is asked what are the odds, on a scale of 1 to 10, that Piazza had used PEDs, the player replies:
"A 12," he says. "Maybe even a 13."
Swan goes on, mentioning how Joel Sherman and Murray Chass wrote about Piazza's back acne a month ago. For more on that go over to Lisa's blog.

I've spoken to Mets fans who say they'd never watch another game if they found out Piazza cheated, much in the same way that Yankees fans talk about Jeter. Well, are you guys gonna stop watching now?

No, this is not definitive proof or anything like that, but I do find it hard to believe that anyone would go forward with a book that includes this type of information unless there was some sort of backbone to it. The last thing anyone writing or publishing a new book wants is a lawsuit.

So what do you think, was Piazza a cheater?

20 Comments:

Scotty B said...

I'd bet my left nut they he used Steroids.

Anonymous said...

If this is the case I know plenty-a-met fans that will probably curse the day. Doesnt surprise me though, I always had my suspicions and doubts that he was clean. The way he come on in LA was absolutely boggling, 34 hrs and over 110 rbi your rookie year? Red flag immediatly to me.

Anonymous said...

to be honest I really don't give a shit. Guilty until proven innocent

Anonymous said...

You know what.. when will we accept that A LOT of the home run hitters did it. Remember Brady Anderson.. of the Orioles? All of a sudden he cracked like 50. David Justice, I know he juiced.. Even Tino Martinez is suspicions.. when he and Mark McGuire were head to head in a home run race. Some guys did it for a NEW contract.. some did it under the pressure of where they played. Some did it because they wanted to be better than GREAT.. A ROD. Minor's did it to get to the big club. It was the way of baseball because there was no rules against it. It was the steroid, don't ask don't tell policy. Baseball knew, but liked the way baseball was going.. they were even guilty of having a juiced ball. Do I think Mike Juiced, fuck yes. But, is he one of those 103 names? if he is not, and there is no proof.. he doesn't have to admit to anything. He is waiting for the Hall of Fame phone call.. he won't do anything to jeopardize that. did you see A rod coming forward until he had too?

You think if they had the roids of today back when, that players like Micky Mantle wouldn't have done it.. What about Babe Ruth, when he started to struggle.. you think if someone would have came to them and said, you can hit 80 home runs by using this, they wouldn't have tried it? or this will help you get better faster, those injuries will just go away. Micky might have passed 70 in 61.. who knows. I accept that our heroes are guilty of greed, guilty of wanting to come through.. Guilty of wanting to be the GREATEST of all time.

Basil

Greg Cohen said...

Brady Anderson is one of the more obvious steroid users ever. He turned into a 50 home run guy overnight.

And I think a lot of people have accepted that a lot of these guys cheated.

You're right, he doesn't have to admit anything if there is no evidence. However, he apparently already did admit it according to this book. But no, I don't expect him to come forward for no reason.

NY Sports Jerk said...

Of course Piazza juiced, just like 80% of the league.

It'll also never be proven, so Mets fans will always have plausible deniability ... or at least think they do.

Cool Papa said...

piazza and steriods is old news. i am pretty sure that lenny dykstra and dauren daulton from the 93 nl pennant team used and that's not stopping me from following my phils.

i most recently had suspected that former phil, aaron rowland was on the stuff.

no players' off the field conduct will stop me from following my team. now if the phillies move to kansas that may be another matter.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't care less about who juiced and who didn't. Without any hard punishments hanging over their heads and with the MLBPA protecting them, any baseball player who had the chance for some kind of physical advantage would have taken that chance, particularly once they realized a lot of other ballplayers were 'using'.

Now the MLB has a monitoring program and harsh penalties. I am strongly in favor of making the penalties even more harsh, and that they need to keep up on the latest methods of detection. That's how to weed out juicers.

If someone has a time machine we can go back & change what's already happened. Otherwise, unless the Justice Dept has issues due to laws being broken, just let it go.

Greg Cohen said...

Hey SteveB,

Like I said, this post is for the Mets fans who have gone on and on about the greatness of Mike Piazza over the years. If Jeter was linked to something like this I'd expect the same in return from a Mets blog.

I agree, the punishment for users should be harsher. Maybe a full season suspension if you're caught once and if you fail a second test a three-year suspension or lifetime ban, something like that.

Anonymous said...

Greg, did you see Chad Jennings' post about last night's game? Apparently Girardi/Cashman made a comment about the possibility of sending Gardner down to AAA, which sounds shocking as he's played well. Note my question, which I thought Chad would dismiss, but he surprised me with his response.

Greg Cohen said...

I'll check that out right now.

That would shock me, by the way.

Greg Cohen said...

Wow, that's ridiculous. I like Melky, and I know Swisher needs his ABs, which he will get anyway, but Gardner has played his butt off this spring. There's no good reason why he shouldn't get a chance to start.

Anonymous said...

What I find most interesting is that Cashman's comment isn't getting more 'air time'. Maybe no one believes him.

That's why I've kinda downplayed it myself. Gardner deserves the starting role based upon his performance. But let's say Gardner goes down & Melky gets CF and shows much improved discipline when at bat. It would make things kinda interesting, wouldn't it?

I'm not ready to put any money on this. I still say CF belongs to Gardner.

Greg Cohen said...

I just wrote a post - it will be posted in about an hour - about it and included your comment and Jennings' response. I don't really know what to say about it besides that I'm surprised Cashman would even say that.

Anonymous said...

OK

Anonymous said...

"...success to be 100 percent chemically delivered."

That's nonsense. Stats for those we even know did it are hardly conclusive. The effect seems to be on the margin, and is further mitigated by the fact that both batters and ptichers (so far, it seems especially pitchers) did it.

I think this should be largely a non-issue, for reasons said in the comments here and elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

I'm so tired of the steroids debate. Please let it die already. I'm sure it's true but who cares at this point. Piazza is old news!

Greg Cohen said...

Mets fans care.

Greg Cohen said...

I should add that they look at Piazza like a god.

Anonymous said...

I mean, the larger issue of steroid use in baseball is basically a non-issue to me. I'm mostly of the mind of "so what?" I do agree that this is big deal for Met's fans.