Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Have I told you how great Pepsi is?

Back in the game summary for the opener at the new stadium I wrote this: "The view from the bleachers is great, as was the view from my other seats (long story) in the upper deck."

The other seats/long story I was referring to were a pair of upper deck tickets that were given to me, for free, by the Official soft drink of the New York Yankees, Pepsi Cola. The day prior to the game I received an email from Pepsi asking if I'd like to go. Of course I said I would and gave them my home address and sure enough around 7:30 a.m. the next morning the tickets arrived. I didn't even have to pay for the overnight shipping. Seriously, how great is that? Two free tickets to opening day at the new Yankee Stadium, and for what, being a blogger? I was absolutely floored when I they told me they were going to give me free tickets, I certainly don't remember Coca-Cola ever doing anything like that. Pepsi was always my favorite anyway, even back when Coke was the Yankees sponsor.

I had something of a dilemma that day, albeit a very good dilemma to have. A friend of mine had already purchased and paid for two tickets (the LF bleacher seats) and told me the day of the game that I could go, so I had to split the time in the two different seats. Like I said, a very good dilemma to have.

Anyway I just thought that what Pepsi did was very cool and wanted to share that with you guys.

22 Comments:

Larry Legend said...

Holy crap dude thats sick!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm suddenly yearning for a Pepsi. I think it's that damn logo.

Anonymous said...

how much is a soda at the game. I went last week had about 5 beers and it cost over 60 bucks! god thing I bought the 35 dollar shit seats.

Greg Cohen said...

I know they used to be $4.50, so I'm assuming it's right around there.

Anonymous said...

figured around there. i saw them walking around with bottles and i think the tag was about 5.50.

Greg Cohen said...

That could be it. Were those the 20 ounce bottles?

SeanW said...

Damn, I need to start blogging.

Anonymous said...

i believe so, i was going to get one til budman came around, so a 6 dollar soda turned into a 9 dollar beer plus tip

yankeefan91 arod fan said...

At the old stadium i used to get free food and used to go to alot of free games ma cuzin used to b a security guard at the old stadium and had couple friends working in the food court so i use to enjoy my times at the games.

Greg Cohen said...

Yankeefan91,

That's awesome.

I know this girl who used to do the same thing. She says she can still do it at the new place, but I find that hard to believe.

The only thing similar that I can remember doing is back when they only sold bleacher seats on the day of the game, me and a few friends would pay a security guard the money instead of waiting online for tickets and he'd let us right in.

yankeefan91 arod fan said...

Greg is preety easy i havent tried it at the new stadium since ma cuzin doesnt work there anymore but i still have a few friends working there.

Anonymous said...

I got free tickets from the Pepsi truck..twice. Tier seats on the 3b side for may 5th, then I was able to score another set for June before they left. I was pretty shocked to see the pepsi truck at st johns since its met territory

-Cartman

Greg Cohen said...

Cartman,

That's where the seats were that I got. I was also invited (by the same person who sent me the tickets) to ride along in that Pepsi truck back in early April but I was busy that day.

Anonymous said...

It was deffinatly cool. It was nice to see the truck and even nicer to score 2 sets of tickets, especailly after finding out my psych final is 125 questions and will have 20 short answer questions, ugh, the horror.
-Cartman

Jason @ IIATMS said...

Tell your pepsi contact that you have blogger buddies who love both the Yanks AND Pepsi who wouldn't mind telling everyone about their products and generosity!!!!

-Jason @ IIATMS

Greg Cohen said...

lol, will do Jason.

Ross said...

How else do you think the Yankees were able to announce that game as a sell out? They gave away thousands of tickets the night before. Embarrassing.

Greg Cohen said...

That's a good point Ross.

Anonymous said...

Free tickets?!?! give away the empty seats behing home, screw the tier, thats not in the t.v. shot. I was there last week, Melkys walk off, so many empty seats, my boy wanted to go in and try to get an autograph, the guard asked me for a ticket or 500 bucks! meanwhile theres my 5 year old holding a pen and a ball, just couldnt let us slip in for all of 2 minutes b4 a pitch was thrown.

- Yes Mem Dynsty

Greg Cohen said...

Anon,

I've heard that kind of story many times since the stadium opened up and it's pretty pathetic. A lot of the fun of going to games as a kid is going early and trying to get autographs. The fact that only rich kids can do that now is pretty sickening.

Anonymous said...

It was very frustrating, last year we were allowed in there, without even having the tickets for that spot about 5 times, we got Cano, Jeter and Posada. Last week my boy wanted to get Tex's auto, and we were going to go back in the summer to try to get Arod's and finish off the infield players.

Over the years I devoloped some friends on the 1b side that would lets us sneak in at the end of games and would even try to get the auto's herself for my boy. But I havnt seen them in the 2 game I went to this year.

Complete joke.

-Dyn

Anonymous said...

Connections! FTW!