Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Derek Jeter's Comeback

Its rare for Derek Jeter, or any of the four rings club really, to go under appreciate by Yankees fans. Normally, he gets the praise piled on for possessing "intangibles" that mere mortals can't understand. That along with the widely varying views on his defense make him an overrated player among most New Yorkers. Not this year though. After three straight years of decline, the captain is quietly putting together one of the best years of his entire career.

His improved range has been noted by many others. While he is not the gold glover that some commentators like to make him out to be, he has silenced the critics (myself included) who've been desperate for the day he would make the move to the outfield. His UZR/150 is 2.5 this year, the highest of his career. Nobody expected to see this out of a 35 year old shortstop. I can't explain this change, I know Girardi uses shifts more often than Torre did and that may have something to do with it. Maybe Jeter is looking ahead to when he becomes a free agent after 2010 and decided to put in a little extra work. Whatever the reason, I love the results.

Derek's offensive turnaround is equally exciting, if less surprising. It was common knowledge last year that he was playing hurt, with more than the usual wear and tear of a 162 game season. Still, his numbers were scary. A line of .300/.363/.408 was a precipitous drop off from his former greatness and had people worrying that Jeter's best days were behind him. Things have really turned around for him though offensively. So far this year he's hitting .321/.396/.461. Right in line with some of his best years. Even his power numbers have improved. He's hit ten homers this year, one away from matching last years total.

I really hope he can keep this up the rest of the year because right now it looks like he has a few more good years left in him. Jeter often gets overshadowed by the latest big free agent signing. Jeter's sudden improvements across the board at 35 are impressive. He's hitting better, fielding better, and even stealing more bases than he ever has before. I really hope he can keep this up because it looks like he has plenty more All Star caliber years left in him. Its not often I say this but, thank god for Derek Jeter.

9 Comments:

Greg Cohen said...

Jeter has been great this year, and to be honest I didn't see it coming. I still thought he was a great player, but I never thought he'd actually get better.

Anonymous said...

I'm very surprised by Jeter's year as well, which is why I voted for him as Yankees first half MVP.

Greg Cohen said...

Yea Anon, he certainly has a strong argument for team MVP so far.

Greg Cohen said...

Oh, and yes, I think he can keep this up for the rest of the year, Mike.

Scotty B said...

Time to resign him. People won't moan and groan if he gets an extension now. If we wait and he has an off year next year, there will HUGE issues with what to do with him.

Greg Cohen said...

Interesting point Scotty. I wasn't even thinking of that, but you might be on to something.

TopofNewYork said...

He really has been great this year. I love him batting leadoff. I feel like we are going to win the game every time he leads off with a hit and he does it ALOT. I cant imagine there being a better Yankee in my lifetime. He should have won MVP in 06. He almost lead the league in average(2nd) was leading for alot of the year but lost to a catcher who doesnt get as many ABs (as I remember) I think Mornaeu won MVP that year and the Twins were in the playoffs (as I remember) Jeter carried the 06 team into the playoffs. Thats how I remember it at least.

TopofNewYork said...

Correction...it is my memory that the twins were not a playoff team that year, yet they had the league MVP? If Pedroia can win that early in his career than Jeter should have won in 06 hands down.

Scotty B said...

06 was def Jeter's year....unfortunately that prob. was his only change.