Friday, July 31, 2009

Is $650K really holding the Yanks back from a pitcher they might need?

ESPN Insider has a report that the Yankees asked the Royals about RHP Brian Bannister today, but the talks "went nowhere" because the Yanks asked the Royals to pay the around $650,000 of the money left his contract for this season. Clearly the Royals weren't too fond of the idea.

Earlier this week (or maybe last week) the Yanks were discussing a deal with the Reds for Bronson Arroyo and asked if they would pick up some of his $17 million contract. That I can understand, but missing out on a pitcher you might need because of just $650K is ridiculous, especially when it's the Yankees we're talking about.

Now don't get me wrong, Brian Bannister is not going ot be the savior, but he would be a solid number five starter on this staff. As of today he was 6-7 with a 3.80 ERA, which ain't too shabby. He also is just 28-years-old and is making just $1.74 million this season.

Maybe they want to see what's going to happen with Jarrod Washburn first before making any other deals or decisions on deals, which I completely understand. He's the better pitcher, and he's probably their main target right now anyway. But if they the cannot land Washburn a guy like Bannister isn't such a plan B.

12 Comments:

CollinM said...

I'm none too confident that Washburn really is the better pitcher. Washburn will be 35 in two weeks, has a .500 career record, and hasn't had a winning season since 2004.

Bannister is younger and just about dirt cheap. Playing for a contender for the first time in his career might also light a fire under his ass.

Just my opinion, but I'd rather have Bannister.

Mike N. said...

I'd greatly prefer Bannister to Washburn. It looks like it might be a quiet deadline for the Yankees this year.

crossfire said...

$650K?

Damn, what's that like 11 beers at the Stadium?

Greg Cohen said...

I'm surprised you guys like Bannister so much more than Washburn. Can I ask why?

Win-loss record is no way to judge a pitcher, especially when they're on a bad team.

crossfire said...

I would prefer Washburn.

SteveB said...

Greg, I gave you a hat-tip for that link to the 2004 Boston t-shirt. It gave me a chuckle.

Anonymous said...

Washburn to the Tigers.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Mike N. said...

Its a moot point now but Bannister is younger and cheaper. He's also not an extreme flyball pitcher like Washburn.

Washburn is probably the better pitcher but he's nowhere near as good as his ERA looks. Bannister is also under team control for the next few years.

crossfire said...

If we end up with Arroyo, I'll puke.

Mike N. said...

I don't even think Arroyo is an option. I'd rather see Kei Igawa.

crossfire said...

I'd rather see Hideki Irabu. lol

crossfire said...

My fear is that "options" are running out and we need to add a serviceable pitcher.