Monday, September 28, 2009

2009 Regular Season Yankee Awards, Part One

I have no idea if Greg or YB want to do something like this so bear in mind that this my opinion and my opinion alone. They had no input on this, so don't blame them if you think I got something wrong. Also, I realize that their is still some more time left in the regular season, but they really mean nothing to the Yankees and I think its pretty safe to award these awards now.

MVP- Derek Jeter

I was tempted to give this to C.C. Sabathia and I know Mark Teixeira has his proponents, but in the end Derek Jeter was just to good this year. The Captain wildly exceeded my own expectations for him this year with a major career Renaissance. In a year were he became the Yankees all-time hits leader, he put up a line of .332/.403/.461. That's huge production from a shortstop. Especially, with him actually playing some damn good defense for once. All facets of his game were improved. He is currently two short of his career high in stolen bases and that short right field porch has helped him become a moderate power threat once more. Were it not for Joe Mauer's historically good season, Derek would probably run away with the AL MVP award. This is coming from a guy who isn't necesarily Jeter's biggest fan either.

Cy Young- C.C. Sabathia

This doesn't really come as a surprise to anyone, does it? The big man was slightly dissapointing early on, after being inked to his massive contract. However, he lived up to his reputation as a second half pitcher and has been money since the All Star Break. Sabathia filled the gap left by Mike Mussina's absence and then some. He has been everything you could look for in an ace. He has eaten up 227.1 innings, he has a shot at 20 wins, he is sixth in the league in strikeouts, his ERA, FIP, and tRA are all in the 3.00's, and he's shown up in big games against the Sox. Of course he wasn't what he was for the Brewers last year, but that wasn't what the Yankees needed and its not really realistic to ask for much more from the guy. He still has long time left in pinstripes and the real test for C.C. with come this October, however, right now things look pretty good for Carsten Charles in the Bronx.

Rolaids Relief- Phil Hughes

Its been a long time since anybody other than Mariano Rivera has won this award. However, this year Phil Hughes burst onto the scene in a way that no reliever has since 1996 when a skinny kid from Panama made his name setting up for John Wetteland en route to a World Championship. So much has been written about Phil's new poise on the mound that I feel stupid dragging up the numbers. However, they're stunning enough that they're worth restating. Through 49.2 innings in the bullpen he has an ERA of 1.27, he's struck out 62, and boasts a K/BB of 4.77. Perhaps the most impressive stat is his OPS+ against. That's 21. Try and wrap your mind around that. This is no knock on Mariano of course who only recently had his second blown save of the season. Its just that Hughes has been so incredibly good in the bullpen that it merits acknowledgment of some sort.

Comeback Player of the Year- Robinson Cano

This one was very difficult because the Yankees had so many guys that bouncebacked from bad years. We knew back in April that this was going to be an issue and the Yankees faith in guys like Nick Swisher, Melky Cabrera, Derek Jeter, Hideki Matsui, Andy Pettitte and Jorge Posada really paid off. Matsui in particular really could have won this award. Robi Cano stood head and shoulders above the rest though. His all important batting average jumped by fifty points from 2008 to 2009. This is with a BABIP only a couple ticks above his career average. He also seemed to develop some plate disciplince, swinging at bad pitches less and good pitches more. Cano set new highs in power, as well. His 47 doubles rank third in the league and his 200 hits (including two walk offs from the "choker") and 24 home runs both mark new career highs. His defense was much improved and all in all this year was nothing short of a huge success for the young second baseman.

The second, and final part of this will be coming soon.

26 Comments:

JP said...

Mike, great post. My friends and I were talking about this last night at the bar.

I only disagree with you in one spot, comeback player. Don't get me wrong, Cano had one heck of a year and it was nice to see him snap back into form but Matsui just went on a tare.

Matsui after 2 knee surgeries, knee problems all year, really, really helped this team out. There were spots from June to August to yesterday where he was the guy who drove in the go ahead runs, who smacked the homer that brought us within reach, he was the center to a lot of those comebacks over the summer.

I think Cano and Matsui are Co-comeback players of the year.

Logan. said...

I think you have to give Matsui credit, the dude produced and made a case to stay.

I'm torn between Cano and Hideki, I think both deserve it. But like Durden said, 2 knee surgeries in 2 years, a bad productive year last season, not really having a place to play, Matsui made his case on put a death-grip on the DH spot day in and day out. I don't know about him being the life in the comebacks but I can recall a few times where he came up big and shot life into the team.

Logan. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Greg Cohen said...

Nice post Mike.... I agree with Durden and Logan about Matsui having a great comeback year, but Cano also made a strong case. It's really a tough call and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Logan. said...

hows it going Greg?

Anonymous said...

Matsui-Comeback.

Tex-MVP.

Greg Cohen said...

I'm good Logan, dealing with an all-nighter. May have to take a nap soon.

Logan. said...

who are you Durden? jk man.

Im looking at tickets for the game tonight, I'm hesitant b/c Im worried Joe is gunna sit the Regulars now.

Mike N. said...

I felt like more was at stake for Cano though. Matsui's careeer is essentially over even with his great year. However, Cano has put himself among the elite second basman in the league once more.

Cano has kind of flown under the radar but since the All Star Break he's been a hit machine. He improved all facets of his game by leaps and bounds. Let's not forget that this time last year, Cano was getting benched.

That said, a lot of people had Matsui written off last year and I certainly see the argument for him. It was the toughest of these awards to give out and I even had something written out for Nick Swisher at one point.

JP said...

How'd you like the seats Logan? You owe me one now.

Anonymous said...

Mike if Swish made a few more relief appearances he would deff take it.

Anonymous said...

I see where your coming from Mike.

I feel the opposite on that though. Because Cano is younger and certainly more talented its easier for him to bounce back.

with Hideki being in his late 30s and written off i dont think anyone was counting on him giving us half of what he produced.

Anonymous said...

And the Jeter love fest continues. MVP over Teixteira seriously? I don't think so.

Anonymous said...

Well take a page out of Joe Morgans book.

Jeet is the MVP

Tex is the MIP(I, for important)

crossfire said...

I have flip flopped on the MVP of the team all year. I have been on the Jeter bandwagon for a while now but I think Tex is just as deserving.

I think in terms of the league MVP, the Twins staying in the race until the last week may give it to Mauer.

I hope I'm wrong and one of the Yanks gets it but I think those thinking of voting for either of the Yanks are going to split their votes and hurt both of them.

Brian Danuff said...

Nice post Mike. But I do agree with Durden. Matsui and Cano should be the co-comebacks of the year.

Anonymous said...

I think the mvp of the team is Teixeria

misterd said...

If we say MVP is restricted to position players, Jeter or Tex are fine. But if we leave it open to the whole team, it has to be CC. This team could not do with one less starter this season. CC out of the rotation means Hughes out of the bullpen, and no reliable innings eater every 5 days. The pen would have been thinner AND overworked.

As for comeback player of the year, Cano, Jeter, Pettite, Posada, Damon and Matsui are all legitimate options, but on first blush I'm most tempted to give it to Hughes.

And reliever of the year I'd give to Mo - his 500th save, setting a tandem win-save record with Pettite (extended with the 100th win), and of course getting his first RBI.

bigb said...

As for the Cy Young, as much as I would love to see CC win it, I would be shocked if Zack Greinke doesn’t win it. The fact that he has less wins than CC is by no fault of his own. In the games that he lost he gave up an average of 3.25 runs and an average of 1.50 runs in games where he got a no decision. The point I’m making is this kid would have 20+ wins if he actually played for a team that was capable of scoring runs. I’m not taking anything away from CC, he a helluva pitcher, but by putting my love for the Yankees aside, I think Greinke is clearly the deserving candidate for the Cy young award.

As for the MVP, it would be really nice to see Jeter win it, but I really think its going to be a toss up between Mark Teixeira and Joe Mauer. If the Twins make the playoffs Mauer wins it, if they fail to make the playoffs Teix wins it.

Anonymous said...

Melky is comeback player of the year.

Anonymous said...

Melky is comeback player of the year.

Anonymous said...

Melky is comeback player of the year.

Anonymous said...

Melky is comeback player of the year.

Anonymous said...

Melky is comeback player of the year.

Anonymous said...

Melky is comeback player of the year.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Greg, My computer is really slow today.