Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Bruney Likely To Be Left Off Playoff Roster

From Mark Feinsand:
Brian Bruney was encouraged following his outing on Monday night, but after giving up a home run during his inning against the Angels, his case to make the postseason roster may be getting weaker.

Joe Girardi will have to decide whether to take 10 or 11 pitchers on the postseason roster, a number that will depend on how many starters they will need in the first round. Bruney figures to be on the bubble either way.

"He's one of those guys that has to pitch better," Girardi said. "We know he's capable of doing it because we've seen him do it. He had a good month of August, but September has not been the same."

"I really wasn't aggressive with it," Bruney said. "When you try to take a little off and hit a spot, for me, that's probably not the right decision. I'm upset with myself about that a little bit."

...

"When you go through an injury and you come back, you try to compensate and guard yourself," Bruney said. "I feel like I let my mechanics get out of whack doing that. I feel like I'm coming around. I feel like myself out there a lot more than I used to."

...

"I've been pretty bad," Bruney said. "Inconsistent, bad, whatever you want to call it. I'm not happy with the way I've thrown at all this year."

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

The first round playoff rotation should be Burnett, Sabathia, and Pettite not necessarily in that order. Then we could go with 7 or 8 guys in the bullpen. Rivera, Hughes, Robertson, Aceves, Coke, Gaudin, Mitre, and Chamberlain. That is 11 pitchers but I think you could leave Joba off the Divisional series roster.

Greg Cohen said...

I agree. The only problem is if they have to face the Tigers and take the series with the day off they have to face Verlander twice. What I'd do is take the shorter series and start CC on short rest. But that could change if the Yanks have a 2-1 lead after three games.

Anonymous said...

CC should go twice in the series. What a lineup today, he should have penciled in Nady