Thursday, November 5, 2009

Game 6 From My View

Well, after 8 long years, the Yankees have finally done it, as they beat the Phillies 7-3 last night to win their 27th World Championship. And I know a lot of you who watched it on TV are just as excited as I am, but I was actually there last night!!

As you know, my uncle surprised me with tickets to Game 6 on Tuesday, and I was so excited just thinking about going to a World Series game, let alone being at the one when the Yankees actually win #27.

After school, my Uncle Bobby picked me up at around 4 o'clock. We decided to take the Metro North train down to the Stadium, and it was really convenient. A 20 minute ride, only $7 total for the round trip, and you don't have to get stuck in traffic driving down to the Boogie Down. I'd strongly recommend taking the train down to the Stadium for future games.

We got there at around 4:30, and we had plenty of time to walk around Yankee Stadium and take in all the sights and sounds of a World Series game. We saw at least 3 blocks full of news vans not only from New York and Philadelphia, but even some from Canada, and a couple from Spain!

And since I really want to be a sports writer and or commentator when I grow up, my Uncle asked the Eyewitness News (ABC) van if I could hold their microphone and pretend to do a pre-game analysis on my Uncle's iPhone. It was kinda funny, but I think I did a good job.

Then we walked across the street to the Stadium and saw ESPN asking random fans trivia questions. I watched someone get asked the questions, and he got only 3 out of 5 right, and I was sure I would have gotten all of them right if I went on. After the fan left, I asked if I could get asked the trivia questions. But since I heard them and the answers, they obviously wouldn't let me. But then I ran into someone from WCBS 880 who was interviewing fans about Game 6. And he talked to me and recorded me previewing Game 6, and actually said I had the best preview of Game 6 than anyone he heard all night! So we exchanged emails hoping he would send me the audio clip to share with friends and what not. It was really cool.

Then we walked into Gate 4 at around 6:15, and as soon as we did, we saw Yankees beat writer Sweeny Murti walking into an office. I said hi, and we exchanged handshakes - I was really involved with the media last night.

Now onto the game. Our seats were in Section 421, Row 2. Before going to last night's game I truely thought the grandstand seats sucked and were a terrible place to see a Yankee game. But after sitting up there and having an amazing view of the field, I wouldn't mind sitting in those grandstand seats for the rest of my life.

Former Yankee great Scott Brosuis threw out the first pitch, and Tino Martinez and a teen from the RBI program delivered the first baseball to the mound. You should have heard the crowd as Tino and Scott's names were announced. They were definitely ready for some baseball!

Andy Pettitte took the mound and even though he walked 5, he pitched a really good game, as he limited the Phillies' lineup to just 3 runs over 5 and 2 thirds. When he came out in the 6th he was given a standing ovation that was so loud you couldn't here yourself think. It truely was amazing to be at one of Pettitte's greatest postseason starts.

It was also amazing to see the game Hideki Matsui had. A home run, a double, and a single, all adding up for 6 RBIs. That tied a World Series record previously set by former Yankee Bobby Richardson 49 years ago in the 1960 Fall Classic. After the home run he hit in the 2nd, each time he got up fans started cheering "Matsui! Matsui!", and following his single and double, fans gave him a standing ovation, and it was almost like when Paul O'Neill was given a standing ovation in Game 5 of the 2001 World Series, as everyone knew he was going to retire. And even though Matsui had an amazing night and took home the World Series MVP, it was kind of sad, because its almost certain that Hideki will not be back next year. And if indeed that was his final game in pinstripes, it was some way to go out.

As the game went on, fans started anticipating that final out, and around the 7th inning stretch, fans were starting to taste the champagne.

After Damaso Marte got the first out of the 8th, the first couple bars of "Enter Sandman" echoed throughout the Stadium, as Mariano Rivera jogged to the mound and the Stadium began to shake - okay, I'm exageratting a bit, but still, it was very loud and fans knew that it was almost time to start partying. Mo got the final outs of the 8th, and that's when I slowed down a bit and just took a moment to realize that I am watching my favorite team win the World Series. And in that 9th inning, Mo got Matt Stairs to line out to Derek Jeter, then after walking Carlos Ruiz, Jimmy Rollins popped up to Nick Swisher for the 2nd out, and then, after battling for a good 8 or 9 pitches, the Sandman got Shane Victorino to ground out to Robinson Cano. And not to steal a quote from Scott Brosuis, but it felt like that at-bat was 20 minutes long and took forever for Cano to actually throw to Mark Teixeira. But nonetheless, he did, and the Yankees won their 27th World Championship, and me and 50,000 other Yankee fans went nuts, jumping up and down, screaming, getting high-fives from all the fans I talked to during the game, and really rubbing it in to the Phillie fans.

We saw all the interviews and trophy presentations, and it was great to see Hideki Matsui win the MVP award. He certainly deserved it, as many Yankee fans would agree. We didn't leave until all the players were off the field, and then when we actually did leave, we stayed outside the Stadium to party with all the other fans rejoicing the Yankees' championship. It was crazy; there were people jumping on top of cars, climbing trees, crowding around cameramen and screaming, and even cheering "Who's your daddy?" right outside Gate 6. It was great!

I can't believe I was there to witness the Yankees 27th World Championship. It was such an amazing experience, and I'm sure I'll remember it as long as I live. And I'm sure all of you do too.

2009 WORLD CHAMPS BABY!!!

blog comments powered by Disqus