Friday, January 29, 2010

Heyman: Damon Turned Down $6MM Offer From Yanks Last Week

From Jon Heyman (hat-tip to RAB):
In a last-ditch effort late last week after Damon himself called the team, Cashman, one of baseball's best dealmakers, tried floating a contract of $6 million with $3 million deferred at no interest (with the promise it would be cleared with team boss Hal Steinbrenner, who was about to return from his honeymoon). But Damon wasn't moved enough to respond.
Based on these quotes from Damon, he's either been brainwashed by Boras into thinking that he's actually going to get the deal he's looking for, or he's just THAT stubborn.
"I know what kind of player I am. I know I'm a player who makes a difference and won't back down,'' Damon told SI.com by phone on Thursday....

"I'm all right being a free agent at this point. I get to see how teams are shaping up,'' Damon said. "I know what I can do. And I think the rest of the world knows what I can do.''

blog comments powered by Disqus