Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Sporting News Interviews Joba

Bill Eichenberger of The Sporting News interviewed Yankees starter Joba Chamberlain on Tuesday to receive an award at the 30th annual Thurman Munson Dinner. Here's some of the interview:
Question: Are you ready to compete for that No. 5 spot?

Joba Chamberlain: It's going to be a battle. The greatest part about it is that not only is going to make the guys who will be fighting for that spot better, but it's going to make our team better. We are going to push each other, try to outwork each other. Whatever happens, happens. I hope they are ready because I've worked my tail off to get where I'm at, and I'm sure they have done the same.

Q: Given your druthers, is it safe to say at this point that starting is what you would prefer?

JC: It's a question that is always going to be asked. But it's one of those things as a competitor, you want to be out there every fifth day and get that opportunity to fight and claw with your teammates because that is what you are there for. I want that opportunity. But I have to go out there and prove it, and I understand that. Nothing is handed to me, and I like it that way. That's the way it's been my whole life and whole career. I'm going to grab the bull by the horns, get after it in spring training and see what happens.

...

Q: How much of a relief is it to you that the "Joba Rules," which limited your innings, are now a thing of the past?

JC: It means I'm growing up. As a competitor, I definitely got frustrated at times. But at the end of the day, I also understood why they were doing it. And I have the utmost respect for them taking that time and going through the good and the bad with me. Now we've done it. We're better for it. We all learned how to handle the situation, and now I can just go out and play the game and get 200-plus innings in.

He also said he thinks the Yankees "retooled great" with the additions of Granderson, Vazquez, Johnson, and Winn. When asked if he ever thought about taking over for Mariano when he retires he admits that he has, but also said he expects Mo to pitch for another ten years. For the entire interview click here.

blog comments powered by Disqus