Friday, March 26, 2010

Girardi Defends Yanks (mis)Handling Of Joba

From Mark Hale:
Manager Joe Girardi insisted the way the Yankees handled Joba Chamberlain the last two seasons was worthwhile, despite the fact the righty will begin the year in the bullpen and his future starting plans are unclear.

"I don't think it's wasted," Girardi said yesterday. "Because there were things that we wanted to look at. We won a World Series. He was helpful. He stepped up and was our fourth starter. You look at his first four months, he pitched pretty well. He really did."
I will agree with one thing Girardi said, they did win the World Series, and as far as team goals go, that's all that matters. However, as far as Joba Chamberlain is concerned, I don't think they've done their best for his development as a pitcher. As I've said many times, if they weren't going to give him a chance to start without training wheels, they should have just kept him in the pen. I've spoken about this way too much recently to keep going, so I'll leave it up to you guys. How do you feel about Girardi's comments?

blog comments powered by Disqus