Friday, April 30, 2010

Whitson on Vazquez

Ian O'Connor recently sat down with Ed Whitson to talk about struggling in New York. O'Connor also brought up struggling right-hander Javy Vazquez to see what Whitson thought of his chances at succeeding in this town.
Whitson watches his fair share of big league baseball, and yes, he's had his eye on Javier Vazquez for some time.

"I was impressed with him in Atlanta," Whitson said. "He's got great stuff, and when he's relaxed and has his confidence under his belt, that boy can be nasty.

"He's got all the tools it takes to pitch in New York if they'll just give him a little breathing room. Right now his confidence looks really low, just like mine was."

Any advice, from one accidental tourist to another?

"I would tell Vazquez I've been there," Whitson said. "I'd tell him to forget about everything people are saying and just throw the damn ball like you threw it in Atlanta. I'd tell him you can't make every pitch perfect, because only God himself can do that."

Believe it or not, I'm hoping Javy turns things around, and I think Whitson gives him some good advice. What about you, what do you think of Whitson's remarks?

blog comments powered by Disqus