Monday, February 7, 2011

Jeter Says He's Past Contract Controversy

From Brian Costello:
Derek Jeter's anger with the Yankees was visible at the December press conference to announce his new contract. But Monday morning at the Yankees’ minor-league complex, Jeter said he's over the hurt feelings he had from his negotiations.

"It's over with, done with," Jeter told three reporters. "You can't change the past."

...

"I've been here long enough to not really pay attention to everything," Jeter said.

Asked about the possibility that the issue of him changing positions could linger for the remainder of his career, Jeter said he's not concerned about it.

"I don't even think about it," he said. "I have a job to do. My job isn't to try to tell the future. I wish I could, but I can't. I'm not a fortune teller. I don't have a crystal ball at my house. My job is to do what my job is and that's to play shortstop."

...

"I've always been pretty good in my career in terms of forgetting about previous seasons whether it's a good season or a bad season," Jeter said. "I mean that from a team standpoint. Whether you win or you lose you don't go into spring training walking around just because you won thinking it's going to be easy. You have to forget about, you have to move on. It goes that way when you're talking about personal as well. You have to be able to put previous seasons behind you and focus on the one that's coming up."
Looks like Jeter is back to saying all the right things, which is good, but part of me believes he's still pretty ticked off over how everything went down this winter. No superstar likes to be dealt with that way publicly, whether it was his agents fault or not. But will it effect anything in the future? I don't think so.

blog comments powered by Disqus