Thursday, June 23, 2011

Cashman Says Reyes To Yanks Ain't Gonna Happen

From Roger Rubin:
Any conspiracy theorist who has pondered Mets shortstop Jose Reyes being fitted for Yankee pinstripes, either later this season or in the near future, can forget it. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman put an end to speculation Wednesday night.

"That's just not going to happen," he said.

..

"We have an everyday shortstop in Derek Jeter," said Cashman, who was at the Waldorf-Astoria for the CYO Club of Champions Tribute to receive the Sportsman of the Year award. "And I think we have an everyday shortstop that would be playing for a lot of clubs in Eduardo Nuñez. The Yankees don't have a need now or in the future for a shortstop.

"But we do need a setup man."

And to that end he said that he's made many calls but only been offered players "that you would expect I wouldn't want."

...

"I'm not afraid to make a trade with them. I'll do anything," Cashman said. "If I feel I am doing better and we're bettering ourselves, I'll do it. But there's a lot of people in the chain of command that you've got to convince and make sure they feel good about it. I am sure that's true on both sides."
I don't see how the addition of Jose Reyes wouldn't help the Yankees better themselves, but whatever, this isn't the first or last time I'll disagreed with Cashman.

Rubin implies that Cashman is not only talking about trading for him, but bring him in as a free agent as well. Which to me is absolutely ridiculous. I can understand not wanting to trade the farm for a SS when you have Jeter and Nunez already here. But that shouldn't stop the Yankees from pursuing Reyes via free agency if the price is right.

blog comments powered by Disqus