Tuesday, February 19, 2008

And I Didn't Even Know Hal Could Speak

The quieter Steinbrenner sat down and answered some questions in a recent interview with GQ.com.

When asked if anyone within the organization ever thought Clemens was able to remain successful because of steroids: "No, none of us - at least I never thought, nor was it even discussed, that steroids was the reason why.

"You'll see these guys in different sports throughout the decades, and they're just a step above the rest, being able to compete at an older age. It's amazing. That's just what I accepted it to be."

I understand why Hal would say this, he basically has to, but it's obviously bull****. I've heard rumors and speculation about Clemens being on roids for years, and I am in no way on the "inside" of things. I cannot believe for one second that the Yankee brass didn't suspect Clemens may have been cheating.

On his father's role with the team and his health: "Of course he's calling the shots. You don't think I'm crazy enough to make a decision without him, do you?"

"He's here every day, and we run things by him all the time. And there's no doubt in the organization of who still is in charge."

"Family matters are family matters," he said. "I'm not getting into the health of my dad, my mom, anybody else. I'm just not going there."

He also says there are no plans to sell the team, and that Cashman's job isn't in jeopardy.

When asked if the Red Sox have the upper hand in the rivalry: "No, I will never concede. They've got a lot of talent, and [have] done very well the past few years, but let me put it this way: I don't think [they] wanted to play us in the ALCS. So I will concede nothing. I think we're better than [them]."

Sounds just as confident as his older brother, and his father.

0 Comments: