Monday, February 18, 2008

Hank Says Baseball is Being Singled Out

I think it's pretty obvious at this point that every time anyone gives Hank gets to speak, he's going to. So get used to it.

In a telephone interview with the Associated Press on Monday night Hank said that baseball was being unfairly singled out when it comes to steroids and PEDs.


"I don't like baseball being singled out," Steinbrenner said.

"Everybody that knows sports knows football is tailor-made for performance-enhancing drugs. I don't know how they managed to skate by. It irritates me. Don't tell me it's not more prevalent. The number in football is at least twice as many. Look at the speed and size of those players."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello responded by saying: "We've had year-round random testing with immediate suspensions since 1990 and we conduct approximately 12,000 steroids tests a year."

"A lot of baseball people thought that baseball would be the last sport that it would be a problem in and probably just ignored it too long," Steinbrenner said. "But the fact is it's been in football a long time and it's been in basketball, I'm sure. Why baseball is being singled out, I don't know. I don't know. I know all the excuses -- `Well, it's America's game and it's the statistics.'

"That's not an excuse. If a sport is riddled with it, it's riddled with it. Why aren't they looking at the NFL?"

Steinbrenner also said that Major League Baseball will "clean up the game."

"We're going to do it."

Hank is absolutely right about this, baseball is being unfairly singled out. If anyone, including Mr. Aiello believes that steroids and HGH aren't being used (a lot) in the NFL then they are living in fantasy land. Like Hank said, just look at these people, they're massive human beings who can do extraordinary things, and it's unnatural.

I'm also pretty certain that this is also a problem in the NBA and NHL. You can't tell me that those sports are just miraculously immune to PED use, because they're not.

People do have to realize that this is not just a baseball problem.

Hank also spoke about Andy Pettitte
: "He didn't embarrass the Yankees, not as far as I'm concerned or as far as my father is concerned," Hank Steinbrenner said in a telephone interview after Pettitte's press conference. "There was no need to apologize.

"He handled himself great and the situation great. He wanted to get everything out of the way and concentrate on pitching and I think he did that. I'm sure he'll do fine and be able to concentrate. He's anxious to get started."

0 Comments: