Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Yankees-Virginia Tech Photos

(Don Petersen/AP)

"People ask, 'How does a visit like this help? I really don't know, but people are smiling and enjoying themselves for the few hours we're here.


"It would have been easy just to send a check and wish the school well, but I think it was very important for us to be here and go that extra mile. Baseball for a lot of people can be a medicine and be very therapeutic. It fixes a lot of things for a short time."


"People ask me what's the most important game of the year -- playoffs, World Series, whatever. To me, this is the most important game of my Yankees career, because it makes you realize how fragile life can be. This is probably the proudest I've been to wear a Yankees uniform."

- Alex Rodriguez

“This is a dream come true, 100 percent. You want to be like these guys your whole life, and now we’re playing on the same field with them. … But nobody’s going to forget why we’re playing this game.”
Yankees visit memorial to the shooting victims



(Don Petersen/AP)

Yankees warming up with the Virginia Tech mascot


(Don Petersen/AP)

Pregame



(Don Petersen/AP)

Postgame



(Don Petersen/AP)

(click on photos to enlarge)

"I look at the Yankees differently after today, and I always will. I grew up my whole life hating the Yankees -- I mean, just hating them -- and I brought up my kids with that mentality. Now, I'll look at them differently."

3 Comments:

Brady said...

It is always nice to see the Yankees get a little love... seems like they are always at the other end of the spectrum. Thanks for the pictures and keeping us up to date on this, great story.

James Miller said...

I really like the quotes you put up there, Mr Blogger. It brings us back to the convo we had regarding the positive purpose of this game in the first place. Arod's quote speaks the loudest.

Greg Cohen said...

Brady,

Yea, it is nice for a change. It's about time the Yankees aren't considered "Evil" for a day.

James,

Agreed, and I was impressed with A-Rod's quote as well, and him sitting in the dugout with all the Va Tech kids around him was awesome. Did you hear that he held a trivia contest, and was giving away bats to the kids who got the correct answer?