Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hal: We Want Cashman Back

From Kat O'Brien:
The Yankees want Brian Cashman back as their general manager next year, and have told him so, Yankees co-chairman Hal Steinbrenner told Newsday in a phone interview Monday.

"He knows that we're with him, that we want him back," Steinbrenner said.

Cashman confirmed that to Newsday in a phone interview, saying: "Yes, we've talked. They've [the Steinbrenners] mentioned that during the season."

Steinbrenner said conversations took place among himself, brother and co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner, father and principal owner George Steinbrenner and Cashman when the Yankees played in Tampa earlier this month. Hal Steinbrenner said: "We did talk in Tampa. We didn't talk about dollars, but we talked about time frame, length [of contract]."
"We all think Brian's done a good job," Hal Steinbrenner said.
Here's what Cashman had to say about the decision he will have to make:
"I think obviously, it's quickly approaching that type of decision," Cashman said. "There's no doubt about it. I'll sit down with my family -- with the Yankee family and my family. We'll do what's best for everyone involved. I love what I do. We'll just have to see what happens."
(Hat tip to River Ave. Blues)

Well there you have it folks, the Steinbrenners, especially Hal, appear ready to give Cashman an extension, it's just a matter of whether Cashman wants to come back or not. My gut feeling is that he will be back, and as you might imagine from my past posts I have no problem with that.

4 Comments:

Mike B. said...

I'm not as fond of Cashman as you are, Greg, but I hope that if he does come back he'll actually do a few things to make us competitive again. Frankly, I'm not convinced he'll do good things, but you never know.

Mike

Greg Cohen said...

Fair enough. I totally understand why some people don't like him, I just think a lot of the problems we see with this team right now are coming from what happened in the seasons prior to 2005, when Cash got full control.

Mike B. said...

I see your point, for sure. One thing we agree on: we all want to see the Yanks returned to their "proper" glory.

Mike

Greg Cohen said...

That's for sure.