Monday, September 22, 2008

Yesterday's Snub Of Joe Torre

I enjoyed yesterday's pregame ceremony very much, I thought, for the most part, it was very well done. But I did have one problem; why was there absolutely no mention of Joe Torre? It's been written about by many writers today, and I'm sure you've read something regarding the snub, so I won't go on and on about it, but I will say that I think it was wrong.

All the Yankees had to do was also mention great Yankees managers in their history, just like they did with every other position on the field, and put his face on the scoreboard. It would have been quick and easy, and would have left some people with much less to complain about today.

I know he's not be on the level as some other great Yankees managers, but there was no mention of Ralph Houk either. Houk won three pennants and two World Series with the Yankees, and managed one of the greatest teams of all-time, the 1961 Yankees. Houk is also 5th on the all-time list for win by a Yankees manager with 944.

What did you think about Joe Torre not being mentioned at all yesterday?

8 Comments:

M-Rod said...

maybe they shitcanned their contract with bigelow tea at the stadium and there was a conflict of interest

Greg Cohen said...

hahahahaha

Anonymous said...

it was screwed up, do u think they'll still retire his number 6? they better!

Anonymous said...

it was screwed up, do u think they'll still retire his number 6? they better!

Anonymous said...

it was a disgrace...i can't agree with you more greg....i was fully expecting them to do for the managers what they did with the rest of the players...they probably decided against it cause they knew if they did...joe torre would have had to have been part of it...

that was a moment to put any hurt feelings aside, and recognize one of the greatest managers the yankees have had...

if you are going to recognize bernie, o'neill, tino, brosius, and so on, you have to recognize the man who led them...

how can you recognize chuck knoblauch, and not recognize joe torre....beats me...

Anonymous said...

It was plain stupid.

Greg Cohen said...

OK I see we are all in agreement.

By the way, Dan, I think eventually he will have his number retired, but it will take much too long for it to happen.

Mike B. said...

I'm left with the feeling that we still don't know all the details behind Torre's departure. I think they should have read a list of all Yankee managers, and that would have at least gotten Torre's name mentioned. Again, though, I can't help but think that someday we'll hear the entire story behind Joe's trek to LA.

Mike