Saturday, October 11, 2008

Cash Asking Players to Evaluate Coaches

This is very similar to the George King article from 10/2, the only new info is that Cashman will ask some players to evaluate the coaches.

From Mark Feinsand:
The Yankees haven't held their organizational meetings yet, but a change in Joe Girardi's coaching staff could come before the team's brass meets later this month in Tampa.

According to a source, Brian Cashman has been asking some players to give evaluations of the coaching staff, giving the general manager information to use as he figures out what moves need to be made.

"I think there are going to be some changes," the source said. "But I'm not sure which direction they'll go."

The article goes on to say that Bobby Meacham is the most likely going to go, and could possibly be replaced by Luis Sojo. I'm all for getting rid of Meacham, but do we really want to deal with 'send 'em home Sojo' again?

It was also mentioned in the article that Kevin Long's job appears to be safe. I don't understand why this organization loves this guy so much. The offense was a major problem for this team this year and usually it's the hitting coach who needs to be held accountable. I know they scored 968 runs in '07, but Don Mattingly was still in that dugout and probably contributed a lot to what that team did offensively.

I think it's a good idea for Cashman to go to the players. They're the ones in the clubhouse everyday and they know who is helping and who isn't. Joe Girardi, on the other hand, may not be too happy about this.

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Use input from Jeter, Posada and Mariano.

Anonymous said...

I agree with this as well. Joe may not be happy with this but he has no one to really blame but himself for the choices he made and the misrepresentation of the job he was going to do when he interviewed for the job. I'm still waiting for hit and run ball.

Anonymous said...

I agree with this as well. Joe may not be happy with this but he has no one to really blame but himself for the choices he made and the misrepresentation of the job he was going to do when he interviewed for the job. I'm still waiting for hit and run ball.

Mike B. said...

Sounds good to me, too. I sure hope Pena gets an A+ rating....

Mike

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea. The players might want to say some stuff too. And the manager will most likely not be happy about this. SUCK IT UP JOE. You got a stupid show of your own.

Anonymous said...

The one good thing about Long is he made the Big G hit to left field when other teams put the shift on him.
But I'm afraid that's the only good thing I can think about him.
I wonder what Cashman will react if most of the players say they want a new GM and a new manager.

Mike B. said...

Good question, Raven.

Mike