Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sabathia Discusses His New Team

From SI.com:

"If you ask anybody in my family or anybody that knows me, I don't think there's any outside pressure that could be put on me that I don't put on myself," Sabathia said Saturday night before being honored with the Warren Spahn Award. "I put an enormous amount of pressure on myself to go out there and perform and expect to win every game, expect to pitch well in every game.

"I think having the guys in New York -- the A-Rods and the Jeters and these great players, and Tex -- I think it will help me be a better player."

"All I'm going to say is I'm excited to be on a big-market team and to be able to get where we need to win and know that the organization's going to do that every year, year in and year out," Sabathia said. "That feels good."

"To have that bullpen and have just the support of that team, that team is unbelievable," Sabathia said. "To add me and A.J and put Tex in that lineup, I think it's going to be an unbelievable team. Hopefully we have a special year."

He believes a relaxed Brewers clubhouse helped foster his success last season in Milwaukee. Meanwhile, the Yankees had a streak of 13 straight playoff appearances snapped.

"That's what I'm looking for. That's a thing that I'm big on is having great team chemistry, and hopefully we can get that in New York," Sabathia said.

Sabathia said he's already used to having a target on his back after being successful in Cleveland and then with the Brewers, and he's prepared to feel the same way in New York. Even the prospect of facing Red Sox fans doesn't faze him.

"I'm sure it's going to be a little more harsh, but they're tough anyway. Being in a Cleveland uniform, they were tough," Sabathia said. "I'm looking forward to them being even tougher, me being in a Yankee uniform and hearing some rude things."

Good stuff.

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Money talks.

Greg Cohen said...

It does, but what's your point?

Anonymous said...

Point is that if he signed with say The Angels or a team closer to home, he would be saying how he never really wanted to go to an eastern division.

Greg Cohen said...

If he was an Angel right now I think he would be saying "I'm happy to be close to home," and there wouldn't be anything wrong with that. I don't think he'd be bashing the Yankees or the east coast.

I believe he means what he's saying when it comes to his happiness with his decision and being on the Yankees.

Anonymous said...

I agree, if I got that money id be happy too!

Anonymous said...

Anon (Sox fan?):

We can play these games with any player that signs anywhere for a lot of money. You can either choose to believe he's telling the truth, or choose to believe he's all about money.

But just because a player takes the most money, doesn't mean that wasn't where they wanted to be in the first place, nor does it mean they're just talking out their ass when they say they're excited about playing for a team that will do whatever it takes to win.

From everything CC has said, he seems like the kind of personality that's going to have no problem in NY. I have no reason to suspect that the things he's saying aren't true.