Saturday, March 28, 2009

Bernie: I Had It Easier Than Melky and Brett

From Tim Bontempts:
Bernie Williams didn't make an immediate impact at the major league level. It took him until 1995, his third full season in the majors, to hit .300 for the season, and he didn't eclipse 20 home runs until the following season.

Williams admitted yesterday that if he came up now, like Brett Gardner or Melky Cabrera, he wouldn't have been able to play his whole career in Yankees pinstripes.

"It was so different when I came up," Williams said before taping an episode of YES' "CenterStage," which is set to air April 8. "I went through the fire, man, and if I would have been one of those players right now, I don't think I would have lasted with [the Yankees], because they've gotta win."

He's also is still hoping to make a comeback:

"I felt really good about playing," Williams said before taping an interview with Michael Kay for the YES network's "CenterStage" that will air April 8. "I am my worst critic and I didn't feel very bad about it. It took me a while to get acclimated but after a while I felt very encouraged.

"I can still play," Williams added.

As far as having it easier than Cabrera and Gardner, I'm not sure I agree with Bernie. I think he showed more than enough skills in his first few seasons that even these Yankees would keep him around. If they were satisfied with Melky Cabrera's first two full seasons in the big leagues I think they would have been satisfied with Bernie's.

What do you think?

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Its a little different. Cabrera has been getting worse every year in the majors. Last year he just looked lost.

Greg Cohen said...

True, that's one of the reasons I still think the Yanks would have stuck with Bernie, even now.

Anonymous said...

Also I dont remember Bernie ever sliding into first base feet first and waving to the bleacher creatures and dropping the ball.

Bernie is just being nice to the young kids.

Mark the Spark said...

I remember being scared as hell that the Yanks would get rid of Bernie in his first couple years. He struggled but I saw something in him, and obviously the Yankees did too.

rpb said...

You have to remember when Bernie came up in the early 90s the "win it all or it's a lost season" mentality was not part of the Yankee culture. George was out of the picture. Stick & Buck were creating a winning culture, stocking the farm sytem and trading for "team oriented" veterans. It was different back then. Bernie was allowed time to grow as a player. Now, both Melky and Gardner are expected to be all stars from day one. It's not that simple. So I would agree with him.

I hope they keep Gardner, I like his approach at the plate, his hustle. While I think Melky has the better arm, I like Gardner's game better.