Sunday, March 1, 2009

Matsui Could Return To Lineup On Tuesday

From Mark Feinsand:

Matsui continued to progress in his running program Saturday, and is now close to full speed. He believes he could see his first game action either Tuesday or Thursday in one of the Yankees' two exhibition contests against teams from the World Baseball Classic.

Matsui has been hitting for a couple weeks, but he hasn't yet tested his surgically repaired left knee by running at full speed. Once he passes that test without a setback, he will get his first at-bats as the Yankees' DH, a spot he is expected to occupy all season.

"I'm almost at full speed," Matsui said during a brief interview in English. "I feel good. No problems."

He's getting closer," Girardi said. "I think it's pretty realistic."

Girardi will split DH time between Matsui and Jorge Posada for the next two weeks until Posada can begin catching again.

I may be alone on this, but I think Matsui will have a big year as the everyday DH this season. He may be horrible defensively, but the guy can still hit.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

But we need Jorge in the lineup, so I hope he can DH until he's able to catch.

Greg Cohen said...

I agree. I'm not too worried by this, though. These things happen while rehabbing. Hopefully, as Jorge said, it's just a bump in the road.