Sunday, April 12, 2009

Some Vintage Yanks vs. Royals

With the Yankees are playing the Royals right now I saw these videos and thought they were very fitting. The first is a video from the first inning of Game 5 of the 1977 ALCS. George Brett is at the plate a lines a triple over Mickey Rivers' head in center. When he reached third he slid hard into Yankees 3B Graig Nettles and all hell broke lose.

The Yankees entered the 9th down by a score of 3-2. In the inning the Yankees scored three times to take a 5-3 lead, the final run coming on a George Brett throwing error. This video starts at that point in the game and goes till the final out.


Both videos come from YouTube member rambler11370.

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Those videos are hot! And that fight was brutal. I love baseball fights from the 70's. They were so much more hard core then they are today.

crossfire said...

The Yanks / Royals rivalry during that period was intense.

Greg Cohen said...

I wish I was old enough to have lived through that. It must have been a fun rivalry.

nutballgazette said...

Oh those bring back great memories. Those days I hated the Royals more than the Red Sox, How great to see Brett choke during that play. But he got us back in the 81 Playoffs vs Goose.

Anonymous said...

To me this was at least as good as modern day Yankees-Red Sox. These two teams hated each other with a passion.

Scott_in_Sacramento said...

That was awesome!

It also reminds me of how much I miss the Scooter and Bill White announcing games.

Greg Cohen said...

Hey Scott,

I grew up listening to Scooter. So games don't sound the same to me without him. I know it's been a long time since he's been behind the mic, but it still doesn't sound right.

Scott_in_Sacramento said...

Greg,

I grew up Upstate, watching games on WPIX, so I know what you mean. I live on the west coast now, so I don't get to see many Yankee games. They had a free preview of the MLB Extra Innings package this week, so I did get to see a couple of games. The announcers that they have on YES are just awful... sadly as bad as they are, they are still better than the announcers that the Giants or A's have.