Saturday, September 26, 2009

Even Educated Red Sox Fans Are Idiots

From Elizabeth Doran:
The Yankees are sending a gift package to a Baldwinsville fourth-grader who was told by a teacher he had to wear his Yankee’s shirt inside out.

Central New York Yankee fans sent a Post-Standard article about the fourth-grader to the Yankees Friday, said Robert Bernstein, manager of special events, alumni services and fan services for the Yankees. Other fans called the Yankees to see what the team could do, he said.

The team plans to send Nate a gift package. Bernstein declined to say what they would send, adding they would like it to be a surprise.

The Baldwinsville School District is looking into the complaint the family made about what they said happened in the classroom on Wednesday.

“We are investigating,” said Superintendent Jeanne Dangle Friday. “This is a personnel issue, and we will be following up and doing what’s appropriate after we get all the information.”

...

Nate’s parents said they were shocked when their son got home from school on Wednesday and told them what happened. Nate said his teacher, Peter Addabbo, made him wear his Yankees shirt inside out until dismissal. Addabbo is a Boston Red Sox fan, the family and students said.

The Garretts said their sons’ First Amendments right have been violated. Also, the school teaches in its character education program about respect, and James Garrett said the teacher’s behavior seems to contradict that.
What a boatload of crap. What kind of teacher tells their student they can't wear a Yankees shirt? And, if the situation was reversed, I hope any teacher in New York would allow any Red Sox fan to wear a Red Sox shirt as well. Am I the only one who thinks Mr. Addabbo should be fired immediately? Seriously, is this the kind of message this school wants their teachers sending the children in their classes? What a disgrace.

17 Comments:

Scott_in_Sacramento said...

Ha, I was just about to send this to you Greg. You want some fun? Read the comments section for this article on the Post-Standard's web site.


Yet another reminder why I moved an entire continent away.

crossfire said...

Sadly many teaches throughout America simply can not keep their personal views out of the classroom and the education in this country has suffered.

I hope they sue the moron and he is suspended or fired. The kid will get the last laugh.

Anonymous said...

Thats the way many Red Sox fans are, totally biased, they act like they are some sort of cult sometimes, it makes me sick quite frankly.

CollinM said...

If these are indeed all the facts, then this guy must be fired immediately. The school district will probably stand behind him though.... It's so easy to play the "apparent disruption to the learning environment" card.

bigb said...

I attended a school 15 miles south of Boston for 5 ½ years. I moved there from New York a diehard Yankee fan and I moved back to New York a diehard Yankee fan. Whenever I sported the Yankees the teachers would call me on but it would be in fun. At no point did it even cross my mind that any of my teachers would instruct me to remove my Yankee shirt. I see where you’re coming from when it comes to Red Sox fans. Last week I visited a friend in Boston. We went out to dinner at a sports bar that was saturated with Sox fans. I walked in wearing my Yankee shirt and Yankee cap and just about everyone gave me looks as if I were walking into the White House wearing a death to America t-shirt. They probably would have ran me out of there had it not been for the fact that the Yankees led by 7 games at that point. I don’t think this teacher should be fired simply because he has the right to a living just like the rest of us but I do think that he needs to get his ass kicked around the block. They should also make him wear a Yankee shirt to work for a week.

Anonymous said...

game chat?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Liam Gallagher said...

Poor kid.

Liam Gallagher said...

Alright CC!

Liam Gallagher said...

It's starting to get overcast at the stadium.

Bill Ding said...

Where da' chat Gregio?

Reilly said...

Greg, where's the chat! There's not even a game thread yet!

Greg Cohen said...

Sorry guys, had some issues, but the chat is live.

bigb said...

DiceK at his finest.

bigb said...

No wonder their in second place!!!

Greg Cohen said...

BigB, come to the live chat in the post above.

misterd said...

As a school teacher I find this man an embarassment to the occupation. NY school teachers encourage the Red Sox fans to wear their team apparal, so we can be sure that we are mocking and humiliating the right students.

Hall Monitor said...

This story made http://detentionslip.org ! Check it out for all the crazy headlines from our schools.