Monday, March 15, 2010

Looks Like Cano's Gonna Be Batting Fifth

It's at the point in Robinson Cano's career where he should be moving up in the order. With the departure of Johnny Damon and Hideki Matsui, the move almost becomes necessary. The one concern I have is his hitting, or lack of hitting, with men on base. But it seems that it isn't too much of a concern to Joe Girardi, because on Tuesday when the Yankees play the Astro he will be using his opening day lineup, and according to Mark Feinsand, this is what that lineup will be:

Derek Jeter SS
Nick Johnson DH
Mark Teixeira 1B
Alex Rodriguez 3B
Robinson Cano 2B
Jorge Posada C
Curtis Granderson CF
Nick Swisher RF
Brett Gardner LF

“I think it’s always been somewhat projected that he would move up in the lineup,” Girardi said. “He’s got so much ability and tools, but with young players, sometimes you want to ease him in. To me, Robbie’s not a young player any more, even though he’s young on this team.”

Cano was happy to hear he’d be batting fifth, saying it was “an honor” to hit behind Rodriguez....

“You want somebody hitting behind A-Rod so they can pitch to him, so I’m going to have to step it up early in the season,” Cano said. “I know what I went through last year, so for Girardi to put me fifth, that means that he trusts me. He thinks I’m ready.”

Here's some quotes from Cano and his manager via Bryan Hoch. First from Girardi:
"I think Robbie's matured as a person and as a player," Girardi said. "I like what I see. His work ethic is tremendous."

...

"I expect him just to be the good hitter he is," Girardi said. "Wherever we hit him."
And Cano:
"Last year when I was hitting fifth, I didn't do what I was supposed to do with men on base," Cano said. "But you know what? It's a different year now."
Not that it really matters because it's such a small sample size, but in 67 games batting fifth, Robinson is hitting .299/.321/.453. Most of those were last year, when he batted fifth in 50 games, and hit .299/.318/.477.

There's no doubt that Cano has more than enough talent to bat fifth. Heck, if it was all about talent he could probably hit third. But he's just coming off two pretty bad seasons with men on base and that creates some doubts in the minds of fans. It's the one area of his game that needs serious improvement, and it's keeping a very good player from becoming a great player.

However, it's definitely worth pointing that Cano has not always been bad with men on and runners in scoring position. In 2006 and 2007 he actually had some pretty respectable numbers in those categories:
  • 2006 with RISP: .306/.335/.500
  • 2006 with men on base: .315/.335/.470

  • 2007 with RISP: .290/.333/.441
  • 2007 with men on base: .315/.362/.487
What has happened the last two seasons is a mystery to me, but I do think it's something Robbie can fix. He's hit in these spots before so we know he can do it, and for Cano to last in the fifth spot in the order he's going to have to do it.

blog comments powered by Disqus