Friday, April 3, 2009

Hal: "We're Going To Make The Playoffs"

From Pete Caldera:

A second straight playoff-free season might have dire consequences for manager Joe Girardi, but co-chairman Hal Steinbrenner isn’t going there yet. "We’ll cross that bridge if we come to it, but I’m not expecting we will," said Steinbrenner, 40, adding that the mission statement never changes. "I guess, I can sit up here and say that if we don’t win a World Series, we’ve let our fans down."

Steinbrenner said that his 78-year-old father, George, will be in attendance for the April 16 opener at the new Yankee Stadium. "As far as I’m concerned, we’re going to make the playoffs," Hal Steinbrenner said. "Our fans expect that every year, and we expect that every year, and my dad expects that every year.

"I grew up with increased pressure to win every year," Steinbrenner said. "So, I don’t feel any different this year than any other year."

He's starting to sound like his father.

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hal is the man!

Anonymous said...

i don't know what it is, but i just don't feel the same "rah rah" after hearing the yankees ownership say they expect to win...i've heard it for the last 12 years or so...and the players constantly say it...so to me, it's been sort of watered down....

Greg Cohen said...

I can see why u feel that way anon.

Anonymous said...

I actually like Hal. Hank drives me nuts though.

I'm sure that's the way most of you feel too?

Greg Cohen said...

Yep, I feel the same way Anon.

Bronx Baseball Daily said...

Hal is a good guy. I'm glad they pushed Hank out. Although even at the time I thought people were making too big a deal about him.